What's the DECA Business Plan?
- Required for all IBBM SL students
- A 20-page research paper
- To be completed alone, with a partner, or in a trio
- Students have 15 minutes to present plan/proposal to a judge
- Gives students the opportunity to compete
There are 4 categories to choose from.
- Independent Business Plan: The Independent Business Plan Event involves the development of a comprehensive proposal to start a new business. Any type of business may be used.
- International Business Plan: The International Business Plan Event involves the development of a proposal to start a new business venture in an international setting. Any type of business may be used.
- Business Growth Plan: The Business Growth Plan involves the idea generation and strategy development needed to grow an existing business. Participants in the Business Growth Plan will analyze their current business operations and identify opportunities to grow and expand the business.
- Franchise Business Plan: The purpose of the Franchise Business Plan Event is designed for participants to present a comprehensive business plan proposal to buy into an existing franchise. The participant seeks to become a franchisee.
Important Links & Files
Check out these great Business Plan resources!
- Penalty Point Checklist (ignore #2)
- Income Statement & Cash Flow templates
- Funding your Business - Loan Proceeds & Owner's Funds (step by step process)
- Amortization Schedule
- Executive Summary - Detailed Financials visuals
- Executive Summary - Financial Request sample
- Key Metrics
- Revenue Model
- How to calculate Average Lifetime Value (article)
- Fixed Assets & Depreciation Model
- Payroll Tax & Benefits Model
- Cost of Employee Benefits for an Employer (article)
- Sales Revenue & Cost of Goods Sold & Gross Profit Models
- Templates - use these to correctly follow the required format for your paper! Remember, you can add sub-sections that DECA does not require.
- Samples - use these for formatting, content, & structure ideas! These are Gold Standard papers.
- Rubrics - scoring for each paper will be based on the following rubrics:
- Sample presentations - NEW!
- Sample 'placemats' - NEW!